Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Run Club

I am a member of a VERY exclusive run club!  We meet every Wednesday evening and go for a 2-3 mile slow and steady run!


We discuss friendships, things we don't like in lunch boxes, plan birthdays, design our rooms, and we laugh.....a lot!  This run club is my favorite 30 minutes of the week because there are zero interruptions!


It is just my 9 year old daughter.....and me.....burning our energy and spending some quality time.

I have always been a "runner"!  I used to be in a run club with my dad when I was growing up!  He never had to say a word, or ask questions......I would talk the ENTIRE run!  I would share things that I am sure I didn't mean to share with my dad, and we would just pound out the pavement getting to know each other. (or really....him getting to know me because I was the only talker)


I think these bonding runs are great!   For me it isn't about getting either one of us into shape, it is about teaching my daughter how and where to channel her energy! It is about giving her a lifelong way to combat stress!  Running has always helped me through upsetting times, happy times, I planed every detail to my wedding while I ran, I ran till the 3rd trimester in both my pregnancies dreaming of holding my babies, and I have always found it to be so comforting to just leave your house and go as far as you possibly can!  It is just you, the road, your music, and your thoughts!


We started our run club over 2 years ago....and the membership doesn't ever expire!   Kacey and I are lifelong members to this club......and I think that it will only get better!  I can only hope that she will just feel comfortable to talk to me, share her goals, dreams, and fears with me as we sweat together throughout the years!


I hope this inspires you to start a run, walk, bike, roller skate, skateboard....or whatever club you can think of with your little ones!  Just set a date....and show up.....week after week....year after year!


***Random fact....I seriously came up with my signature anchor and bow on a run......and every shirt after that!  I will come up with the idea, and call either my husband or dad and have them write the idea down in case I forget! ***

11 comments:

  1. This is so cute! Even having moved out, the times I get to meet my dad on lunch break and have him drag my butt on a long run are some of my favorites. Those are such special memories and love that you have pictures to help capture these times :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! My favorite memories too! I am documenting each week and plan on making a book for her eventually. (so maybe it is more for me....but someday she will love the book)

      Delete
  2. What a special time for you guys! I can't wait to share moments like these with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is adorable! i have a love/hate relationship with running, but my boys are still too young to run alongside me {they currently hang in the stroller while i run instead}. you are just the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used to push mine in the stroller while I jogged....then they road bikes beside me while I jogged....and this stage is my favorite!

      Delete
  4. I love this! You are such a positive role model for your kids! Much better to get off the couch and enjoy the outdoors - definitely a great life lesson. I hope when my daughter is old enough to go on runs with me she will think it's cool and want to hang out with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!!!!! I totally agree about getting off the couch and getting involved in some type of activity! I am sure your daughter will love it too! Start it early enough so that they just think it is normal. :)

      Delete
  5. This is so precious! You are building memories that will last a lifetime. I hope to find an activity that both my son and I enjoy, so that we can start our own "club". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marissa! Pretty sure you and your super handsome son already have a club.....cupcakes. :)

      Delete
  6. I love your blog and so I nominated you over on my little blog for a Liebster award! Thanks for being an inspiration! Monkeysandmoustaches.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips